Isis has claimed responsibility for the terror attack in Nice that saw at least 84 people killed after a lorry was driven into crowds of people.
A man named as Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel drove his vehicle more than one mile along the coastal French city’s Promenade de Anglais, sending hundreds of people fleeing in horror.
And news agency Amaq, which supports the group also known as Islamic State, said via its Telegram account: “The person who carried out the operation in Nice, France, to run down people was one of the soldiers of Islamic State.
“He carried out the operation in response to calls to target nationals of states that are part of the coalition fighting Islamic State.”
It came as it emerged five people had been arrested following the Bastille Day massacre.
Inquiries were continuing into whether 31-year-old driver Bouhlel acted alone or had accomplices before he drove a 19-tonne hired truck into scores of people.
More than 200 people on the Promenade des Anglais were injured.
Officers carried out a raid at an address near Nice’s main train station on Saturday morning and made two arrests, Europe 1 reported. They were thought to be known to the killer.
A third person was also arrested at an address in Nice earlier in the morning.
According to reports, the terrorist’s ex-wife was being questioned on Friday.
The driver’s father has reported that Bouhlel had received psychiatric treatment in the past.
He was unknown to the security services.
The Queen added her voice to the wave of sympathy from leaders across the world as the country faced another terrorist attack, following those in Paris in November, in which 130 died, and in January 2015 in which 17 were killed.
President Francois Hollande said 50 people were “between life and death”, while several people were among the missing and a “small number” of Britons were injured.
The Foreign Office on Friday night described the carnage as a “terrorist attack“, causing multiple casualties, and updated its advice for Britons in Nice.
The new advice said: “If you’re in the area, follow the instructions of the French authorities, who have cancelled a number of public events planned for the coming days, closed the Promenade des Anglais and a number of the public beaches in and around Nice, and implemented some traffic restrictions.”
A vigil took place at Nice Cathedral on Friday night and mourners also gathered at a makeshift memorial amid a visible police presence near the promenade, which is closed to the public.