Molds is a fungi that can be found both indoors and outdoors, in walls and on everyday items. No one knows how many species of mold exist but professionals estimates range from tens of thousands to three hundred thousand or more. Mold spores can survive harsh environmental conditions, such as dry conditions, that do not support normal mold growth. Some people’s health is sensitive to molds. For these people, exposure to molds can cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. Some people, with serious allergies to molds, may have more severe reactions. Severe reactions may include fever and shortness of breath. Some people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may develop mold infections in their lungs. Knowing this you need to be sure your family is safe from mold.
During most disaster the basement is usually takes a beating. Because the basement is underground, moisture can easily seep into the walls after a flood, hurricane or other natural disaster. The basement can also be a safe haven during a tornado. But to keep you basement dry, the air breathable and the rations safe, you will want to be sure that there is little humidity build up and no mold. One of the best way to do this is by having a compact dehumidifier ready. A dehumidifier will remove any moisture in the air and the water that is removed is also drinkable if needed.
Keep Areas Dry
Moist environments can exist for a number of reasons. The humidity level can simply be off in a home due to window seals or hot water leaks. Perhaps a dryer hose is cracked or misdirected and the warm air is being released into a cool room. Perhaps a flood, no matter how big or small, occurred and the room was not quickly dried or not dried well. Any of these situations create the perfect breeding ground for mold. For proper water damage restoration, an air blower is extremely useful. An air blower helps to dry any water left on floors, carpets and other surfaces into the air, allowing them to dry completely. Most likely you have seen an air blower being used to help dry carpets or flooring after a flood.
Watch this free survival video and Learn How to Make the Ultimate Survival Food: Pemmican was light, compact, high in protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, and if done properly can last anywhere from a few years (decades) up to a lifetime without refrigeration!
Does Your Home Need a Dehumidifier?
Some signs your home needs a dehumidifier include:
- Condensation on Patio or Window Glass: If there is water on the interior glass, vapor or fog look, or beading water on a window, these are signs of too much moisture in a room. Sometimes this can be cause by a leaky hot water pipe or a water leak somewhere under the house.
- Mold Spots on Ceilings and Walls: Due to steam rising, problems with moisture tend to be found in corners of walls or on ceilings. Mold growth can happen on ceiling, wall and even in drywall. Be sure that your home is properly vented and that air ducts are cleaned. Other places for trapped moisture are garages, closets, and basements. You may see mold spots beneath windows as well.
- Musty Odor or Smell: Signals of a mold and mildew presence is a musty odor in crawl spaces, garages, basements, or entrances. Basements tend to be the number one source of mold growth.
- Water Run-Off Dampness: Rainy and snow season can be associated with water run-off, leading to your home having an excess of moisture. Spring season tends to be the time when most mold grows and can effect a home.
- Water or Mold Stains: Water or mold stains on ceiling, walls, or floors can be a sign of excess moisture in the home. You will need to take action as soon as possible with mold stains are visible. This is a serious health issue.
Restore Humidity Levels
Though the air blower will remove excess water from surfaces, it does not remove it from the room. Moisture accumulates in the atmosphere, raising the humidity levels above the ideal forty to fifty percent. This means that after the air blower is turned off, the moisture will resettle, and your potential for further mold growth remains. In order to prevent this, use a commercial dehumidifier. As the air blower pushes moisture into the air, the dehumidifier takes in that air, collects the excess moisture and releases the dry air back into the room. It also releases warmth while it works. Drier, warmer air means that mold will not be able to grow. If mold has already sprouted, it will not survive.
Mold can grow from a number of moisture related issues, but you are not powerless to prevent or stop it.
Are you ready to turn back the clocks to the 1800’s for up to three years? Our grandfathers and great-grandfathers were the last generation to practice the basic things that we call survival skills now… WATCH THIS VIDEO and you will find many interesting things!